An article by My Credit Cards: http://creditcardsmalaysia.blogspot.com
[Updated - July 2012 - Please click here to read my latest article on Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature and Platinum Credit Cards Benefits 2012]
Yesterday I received my Citibank Platinum Visa and also my wife's Citibank PremierMiles. Well, I was pleasantly surprised that the Citibank Premier Miles credit card has the Visa Signature logo on it. I was not even aware that the Premier Miles was a Visa Signature as Citibank advertisements did not emphasize on this fact. With the Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature, we now have 4 Visa Signature credit cards in Malaysia i.e. CIMB Bank, EON Bank, HSBC and Citibank.
Well, my Citibank Platinum Visa came inside a white envelope whereas my wife's Citibank Premier Miles credit card came with a classy looking welcome "kit". Nothing interesting inside the box except some brochures printed in good quality paper. But then again, the presentation makes the Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature more like a premier credit card. Here are some photos of the welcome pack.
And here is a photo of both the credit cards side by side. The Citibank Platinum letter does look nicer with the Metallic coloured wording.
And below is a photo of my Citibank Platinum credit card, I must say that I prefer the design of my wife's Citibank Premier Miles over my Citibank Platinum. The Citibank Platinum looks like a classic card, hahaha.
So what are the difference in benefits between the Citibank Platinum versus the PremierMiles Visa Signature? Below is a brief comparison between the Platinum and PremierMiles Visa Signature.
- Both the Citibank Platinum and PremierMiles have the same annual fee at RM600.
- The Citibank Platinum earns you reward points where you can redeem for stuff or vouchers whereas the Citibank Premier Miles Visa Signature earns you PremierMiles. 1 PremierMile = 1 Air Mile or 0.73 Enrich Mile. Click here to read how to redeem the PremierMiles.
- The Citibank Platinum credit card grants you 12 free access to KLIA and LCCT Plaza Premium Lounge and so does the Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature. But, on top of that, the Citibank PremierMiles also gives you 2 free access per year to airport lounges worldwide with Priority Pass membership.
- The Citibank PremierMiles gives you 10% and 15% off return published fare for Malaysia Airline Economy class SmartSavers and SmartFlex respectively. For business Class, you'll get 80% and 40% off the second and third ticket respectively. The Citibank Platinum card don't have this benefits.
- Both the Citibank Platinum and PremierMiles Visa Signature comes with the same Travel Accident Insurance that covers you up to RM1,700,000.00, Personal Accident Insurance up to RM300,000.00, Overseas Medical Expenses Insurance up to RM50,000.00, Wallet reimbursement up to RM500 due to snatch thief or robbery and other insurances relating to travel such as missed flight, lost luggage and flight delay.
- Citibank Platinum credit card comes gives free protection for purchases covered up to 30 days if the items are lost, stolen or damaged. I can't seem to find this benefit being offered to Citibank PremierMiles in Citibank's website or in the PremierMiles welcome pack, so call Citibank Customer Service if you ae interested in this benefit.
- The Citibank Platinum Credit Cards earns you 5X Reward Points (maximum up to RM3,000 spent) at Isetan, Jusco, Marks&Spencer, Metrojaya, Parkson, Robinsons, Tangs, Carrefour, Cold Storage, Everise, Giant, Servay and Tesco. The PremierMiles don't get this benefit.
- Both cards don't have TOLL Free Customer Service dedicated line :(
Both credit cards enjoy 1st year FREE annual fee and the Citibank officer told me that the GST will also be absorbed as long as we use the card 3 times within 60 days. Like I said earlier, I prefer the Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature card design over the Platinum. However, the Citibank Platinum annual fee is FREE for life as long as I maintain my CitiGold Account. Reason I asked my wife to get the PremierMiles is simply because of the 2 free entry to airport lounges worldwide with the Priority Pass. She doesn't need the KLIA and LCCT Plaza Premium Lounge access as she already has her own Alliance Platinum MasterCard and Alliance Bank Privilege Premium Debit Card. For me, my EON Bank Visa Signature Priority Pass membership grants me 3 access per year to airport lounges worldwide.
The Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature is not entitled to free annual fees even if you got a CitiGold Banking Account. Therefore, come next year, I guess my wife will have to give up her Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature card.
As for credit limit for my Citibank Platinum, well I had reached the maximum credit limit on my old Citibank Clear Card which I have terminated recently, and I am pleased that they raised my credit limit for the Platinum card. As for my wife's Citibank PremierMiles Visa Signature credit limit, I can tell you that I was surprised that Citibank gave her a credit limit higher than her Alliance Bank Platinum and Maybankard 2 Cards considering that both her existing cards are less than a year old and that Citibank system states her employment as a Domestic Engineer.
Recently, I noted that many places are offering discount with Citibank credit cards in our Malaysia malls in KL. Early this month, Citibank cards get extra 5% discount at Robinsons Gardens Mall Mid Valley. Same thing in Singapore, many merchants were offering discount with Citibank credit cards the last time I was there. Hopefully Citibank will continue to give me a reason to maintain my CitiGold Account when my card anniversary arrives next year.
[Update January 2012 - I dislike my Citibank Platinum Credit Card, so I wanted to cancel it but Citibank offer me a new card with new number :) Click here to read my article titled My New Citibank Platinum Credit Card]
[Update March 2012 - Click here for latest Citibank Credit Card Promotions 2012 published and updated frequently at my main blog GenX GenY GenZ: http://generationsxyz.blogspot.com]
[Update March 2012 - My wife's Citibank PremierMiles credit card Annual Fee is due next month. She hardly used it except to get free tickets at TGV and Basking Robbins in 2011 to enjoy 10% discount. Anyway, she called Citibank today ( 22nd March 2012 ) and requested for this year's annual fee to be waived and the Citibank Customer Service representative was happy to waive it. Thumbs ups to Citibank].
OTHER RELATED POSTS - All links updated in 2012
Click here to read my article titled FREE Entry to KLIA and LCCT Plaza Premium Lounge and Worldwide Airport Lounge too with Your Credit Card.
Click here to read about more about the HSBC Premier World MasterCard and Visa Signature. The HSBC Visa Signature do not grant you a single free access to KLIA Plaza Premium Lounge.
Click here to read more about Citibank Platinum Cashback Credit Card. In this article, I did compare the Citibank Platinum Cash Back versus Maybankard 2 American Express card.
Click here to read my article - How I Benefited with My Credit Cards for My Macau Trip. My wife entered Macau Airport Lounge with the Priority Pass card issued with her Citibank PremierMiles credit card. In this article I also posted photos of the airport lounge in Macau and LCCT Plaza PRemium Lounge.